Sunday, August 17, 2014

Social Story Poster

Well, I am back at school and things are in full swing.  At my school the teachers are busy getting their rooms ready, I am working on scheduling students, and we are all racking up our professional development hours.  This past week we spent time discussing student rules, common area expectations, and a positive approach to classroom behavior management.  It was just a great refresher on how important managing student behavior is in creating a safe and successful learning environment. 

I want to expand on my last post discussing social stories.  Social stories are a great behavior intervention tool to use for those students that are showing us that they need a little extra help.  I want to take social stories one step further though.  What about turning the pages of the story into a poster specific to the student?  It doesn't have to be anything huge or fancy, just something small that you can tape to a desk, locker, folder, etc.  What a great way to provide a friendly visual reminder.  I used the pages from my Classroom Behavior Social Story to make an example poster.
Poster
I wish all of you the best of luck getting this school year off to a good start.  Don't forget how important it is to establish your rules and procedures from the get go.  Spend the first 2-3 weeks practicing your expectations.  Hopefully it will save you some time and frustration dealing with behavior problems down the road!



2 comments:

  1. I really like this poster & would like to see/know more but the link is not working. Is this still available please?

    ReplyDelete