Thursday, January 9, 2014

My Many Colored Days

Reality has sunk in, and Christmas break is over...BOO!  Just like most of you, I have spent this week getting back into my school routine.  Over the break I spent time thinking about what I wanted to share next.  I realized that I have not mentioned or suggested any books, and I use bibliotherapy often.  One book I use consistently is My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss.  This book targets a younger reader, but it can be used with older students as well.  Students of all ages can have a difficult time talking about their emotions and identifying feelings or triggers of feelings.  The simple words and vivid colors used in this book allow students to connect with emotions in an imaginative way. 
 My Many Colored Days is also a great book to use in a group setting.  After reading the book, the students color in a puzzle according to how each piece would make them feel.  The color key in the puzzle coordinates with the colors in the book.  At the following group session the students would compare their puzzles and notice the similarities and differences of how like situations could cause different feelings.  They also notice that one puzzle piece could be filled with multiple colors.   For example, they might feel sad and mad at the same time.  What a great way to start a group discussion!

The printable puzzle "Emotions Can be Puzzling" shown in the picture above is included in The Feelings Hub packet available in my TpT store.  I will have this download on sale in my store until January 16th.

No comments:

Post a Comment