Saturday, July 27, 2013

DIY Bulletin Board

One of the things in my office that I get the most compliments on is the bulletin board that is behind my desk.  Years ago I saw something similar on the Potterybarn Kids website, but could not afford to buy it, so I decided to try to make it myself.  Don't get me wrong, the one on PB Kids was way better, but I was really happy with how mine turned out.  I just recently recovered the board for my new office and wished I would have taken step by step pictures to post for you to see.  It's pretty easy though, so I will just tell you what you need and give some simple directions.
Here is what you need: open back frame, 1 ft. X 1 ft. cork squares, fabric (3-4 coordinating fabrics), stapler, strong tape (I used packing tape), and brown paper (I cut apart 2 brown paper bags from the grocery store and taped them together)
Step 1:  Decide what size frame you want and choose your frame.  Mine is 2 ft. X 4 ft, so I needed two packages of cork squares (the ones I bought came in 4 to a pack).
Step 2:  Cover your cork squares. Cut the fabric into squares big enough that the fabric will wrap around to the back.  Use a stapler to secure the fabric on the back.  It is important to pull the fabric tight.
Step 3:  With the frame facing down arrange your squares in a pattern that you like.  You will be seeing the back of your squares, which will look kind of scary, but don't worry nobody else will see that part.
Step 4:  Get a strong tape and tape several times going up and down the frame and across the frame as well.  I don't think there is such a thing as too much tape, as you want it to be secure.
Step 5:  Use your brown paper to cover the back of the frame.  Again, use your tape and tape all around the edge.  I also taped up and down and across the brown paper just to be on the safe side.  I use my bulletin board a lot, so I wanted it to be sturdy.
Step 6:  Hang it on the wall and enjoy!

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/10306083/?claim=9a5fk58prts">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment