Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What's on your walls???

If you have read my office page, then you know that I just moved offices and positions over the summer. In my office I have a big closet. The bare closet doors have bothered me since I moved in, but I was not sure what I wanted to put on them. What is middle school appropriate? I was so afraid of putting something up that was too babyish...coming from an elementary school and all. However, after the first two weeks I found myself saying the same things that I had said the previous four years as an elementary school counselor. Even though the conversation was more mature, I noticed the students did not have basic problem solving skills, were confused on what bullying really was, and did not know the difference between reporting a problem and tattling. They were having difficulty identifying how they felt and coming up with ways to calm down when angry or upset. In response to my student's needs, I decided to cover my closet doors with posters addressing these issues.
The posters that I used were from several of the packets that I have in my TpT store.  You can do the same thing by making your own posters. Just think about the issues that come up most often with your students. So far I have been amazed at how many students have looked at and commented on the posters. I have even had students come in angry, and as I give them time to calm down I can see them studying the posters. Students have even referenced them in conversation. Teachers, what do you have on your walls? Make it relevant, because I promise the students read, study, and look at what is posted.

If you want to make your own posters, then make them pleasing to the student's eye. Some hints are:
~Use fun fonts, but make sure they are easy to read
~Use colors that are eye catching, but not so crazy that the message is overpowered
~Use attractive clip art and pictures to support written messages
~Deliver your info clearly and concisely

The posters that I used are from the following packets:
~Counselor's Office Rules - For the Counselor's Office packet
~How to Solve a Problem, Small Problems vs. Big Problems, Reporting vs. Tattling, Bullying or Not - Problem Solving packet
~Anger Rules and Ways to Calm Down - The Anger Hub packet
~Boys & Girls How Are You Feeling Posters - The Emotions Hub packet

No comments:

Post a Comment